Monday, February 9, 2015

Egg Shell Bathtub Cleaning Powder

All winter long we save our egg shells to use in our garden. We sprinkle them around the base of plants that tend to get nibbled on by slugs. Apparently, it feels like crawling across glass shards to them. Sounds about right...not sure though, I'm not a slug.
Well at about this time of year I am getting tired of having those jars of shells taking up space on my kitchen counter so I decided to try my hand at making a homemade bathtub scrub. It was VERY easy to do and worked like a charm.






Homemade Bathtub Scrub

1 mason jar full of crushed up egg shells
1/2 cup baking soda
Essential oil of your choice, citrus is nice

First take your egg shells and place them in a glass or metal casserole dish and place them in a 150 degree oven for about 2 hours to be sure they are completely dried out. 

Before doing this you can boil them for about 10 minutes to remove any dried egg "guck" and let them dry for about 8 hours. I didn't do this because I am just using it to clean the tub and sink. If you also make your own mineralizing tooth powder you may want to do a bunch of shells at the same time for both uses.

Once the egg shells are completely dry, pulverize them to a powder, in a coffee grinder you do not use for coffee. Pour the powder into a bowl and mix with 1/2 cup baking soda. 

Pour mixture into a jar and add 20 drops of your favourite essential oil. Citrus-y scents are great for this. I placed two empty essential oil bottles from lemongrass and tea tree (cause I'm cheap aka frugal like that) and the droppers into a jar and sealed it. I let any oils and scent permeate the egg shells overnight and it smells heavenly! 

I put about a tablespoon of the egg shell mixture on a damp sponge and scrubbed away. 

No comments: